As part of our ongoing efforts to bring the community together, we run the Wixams Walkers group, part of the national Wellbeing Walks scheme. The group is aimed at all ages and abilities and simply gives an opportunity for residents to get some exercise, meet people and to explore parts of Wixams they might not yet have seen.
Wixams Walkers meets each Saturday at 11, in front of Seasons Garden Centre on Bedford Road. After each walk, all are invited into Seasons for a cuppa. There’s no need to register or join, we’re very casual and we welcome new walkers even if you can only attend from time to time.
There are currently 6 main routes in and around Wixams which are all around 2 miles /3 km and take 45 minutes to an hour:
- B&M and WRV (2.3 miles / 3.7 km) – Up to the roundabout near B&M then back down and around the lakes near the Wixams Retirement Village.
- Three Lakes and a Pond (1.9 miles / 3.0 km) – A route around the pond and lakes within Lakeview village (village 1).
- Southern Trail (2.1 miles / 3.4 km) – Follows the walkway around the south side of Willow Grove (village 2).
- Duck End Lane (2.3 miles / 3.6 km) – To the end of Duck End Lane in Wilstead where there are lovely landscapes.
- Willow Grove (1.6 miles / 2.6 km) – Up Southern Cross to the play park in Willow Grove for a great view across to Harrowden Green (village 4) and around Harlequin Crescent.
- Town Park (2.4 miles / 3.8 km) – Along Green Lane to the new park, along the greenway to B&M and back along Fisherswood Road.
We normally split into two groups, a fast group and a slower group. For some of the routes the fast group goes a little further. If you’re a beginner or just trying to get back into shape please do come along, we don’t leave anyone behind.
During the summer, we will be exploring more of Bedfordshire by walking in the local country parks. In July 2019 we visited Woburn Abbey Deer park, a beautiful open space which is home to 9 species of deer. We also visited Millennium Country Park in August and Priory Country Park in September.
Stay in Touch
Other Walking Groups
You can find out about other Wellbeing Walks in the area from the below walk programmes: