If you’ve never heard of Yarn Bombing you’re in good company, we hadn’t either! But after a suggestion from Barratt/David Wilson homes to set up a group in Wixams we agreed it would be a great way to bring people together to do something crafty, fun and a great way to decorate our town!
Barratt/David Wilson have very kindly provided us with some funding to establish a yarn bombing group here in Wixams so we’re calling for anyone who might want to take part to get in touch. If there’s enough interest we will organise a room in the village hall for people to meet and discuss what the group should do, how regularly they should meet and to start planning for an event.
No Experience Necessary
If you’ve never knitted or crocheted before that’s no problem, it’s easy to learn and we already have a few people who would like to help others learn. The group would of course benefit from more people who can already knit and crochet who can share their skills with others.
Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
One idea to get a yarn bombing group started is to create a series of pieces for this year’s Queen’s Jubilee. Members of the group could get together to share ideas and create items which they could display outside their homes or on their street to celebrate the Jubilee this June. For those having street parties this could really enhance the decorations on display!
Here’s a few ideas from the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee to whet your appetite…
First Meeting Outcomes
The first meeting of this group was held on Wednesday 6th April, it was very successful and 14 people turned up. The group discussed a few key points and the outcomes are below:
- The group would like to meet fortnightly and will continue to meet in the village hall.
- The Wixams Community Group currently have some funding to pay for the room hire but after this the group members will likely contribute towards this cost. The Swan Room costs £9 per hour so for a two hour booking this would cost member less than £2 each.
- The group will focus on the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee as the first project and likely will create something together which will include bunting and jubilee flowers. This will be discussed more at the next meeting.
Next Meeting Dates
The next meetings of the group have been scheduled for the dates below in the Swan Room, Lakeview Village Hall, all are welcome. If you can’t make the start that’s no problem, the room is booked until 9pm so drop in at any point.
- Wednesday 4th May at 7pm
- Wednesday 18th May at 7pm
- Wednesday 25th May at 7pm
If you already knit or crochet please bring along some knitting needles, size 4mm needles, some yarn if you have some (ideally red, white and blue) and/or anything else you think would be useful.
Get in Touch
Please fill in your details below if you’d like to join the group or find out more:
A new Facebook has been created, please feel free to join to stay up to date with the group’s activities: Wixams Yarn Bombers