We have now restarted our walks at the new time of 11am
As part of our ongoing efforts to bring the community together, we run the Wixams Walkers group, part of the national Walking for Health scheme. The group is aimed at all ages and abilities and simply gives an opportunity for residents to get some exercise, meet people and to explore parts of Wixams they might not yet have seen.
Wixams Walkers meets each Saturday at 11, in front of Seasons Garden Centre on Bedford Road. After each walk, all are invited into Seasons for a cuppa.
There are currently 5 main routes in and around Wixams which are all around 2 miles /3 km and take 45 minutes to an hour:
- Three Lakes and a Pond – A route around the lakes within Wixams itself, and a pond
- Southern Trail – Follows the walkway around the south side of Wixams
- Duck End Lane – To the end of Duck End Lane in Wilstead where there are lovely landscapes
- B&M – Up to the roundabout near B&M then back down and around the lakes near the retirement village
- Willow Grove – Up Southern Cross to the new play park in Willow Grove for a great view across to Village 4 and around Harlequin Crescent
We normally split into two groups, a fast group and a slower group. For some of the routes the fast group goes a little further. If you’re a beginner or just trying to get back into shape please do come along, we don’t leave anyone behind.
During the summer, we will be exploring more of Bedfordshire by walking in the local country parks. In July 2019 we visited Woburn Abbey Deer park, a beautiful open space which is home to 9 species of deer. We also visited Millennium Country Park in August and Priory Country Park in September.