As Wixams grows, a strong community spirit is needed to bring people together and make life here even more enjoyable.
The Wixams Community Group has been established to achieve just that, by running a set of projects which benefit and involve the community.
There’s no limit to the types of projects the group will undertake but current plans include:
- Skill sharing
- Talks and presentations
Some of these projects have already been completed, are ongoing or currently in the planning stages. You can find out more about some of our current and past projects here (there are more in the development stages at the moment).
How It Works
The Wixams Community Group has no formal membership, simply a committee which it there to plan and run the projects. Our committee is not big enough for us to do all the work, so we rely on volunteers to come forward and offer to take part.
Each project runs as follows:
- Review – The committee discusses the new idea and determines if the group has the capacity and finances to start the project.
- Approve – If approved, the project is assigned a Project Lead to plan the project and be the central point of contact.
- Plan – The project lead plans the project and sets a date for the work to be done.
- Invite – We ask for volunteers from the community to come forward, this will be done via our Facebook group, here on the website and we will send out emails periodically if you subscribe at the bottom of the page.
- Participate – Finally, we meet on the planned day(s) to work on the project tasks together!
Some of our projects will be enduring, meaning that we will meet regularly to complete the work in stages or to keep things maintained.
As well as volunteers to do the work, certain projects will need to be funded in order to buy supplies or for other costs such as to pay for the hiring of the village hall.
We are currently requesting funding from multiple sources including from the Wixams Parish Council, so we are able to fund all the projects from within our group. This means that there will be no direct costs to the community, although any donations would be very much appreciated.
Your Ideas Matter
As well as the projects suggested by committee members, we would love to hear ideas from the community itself. If you have an idea, please get in touch with us and we’ll see if we can help out. This might be an idea you just want to propose, or it could be a project you want to plan and run yourself but need help with funding, advertising and asking for volunteers to help out.